First off, pride is never a good thing. Now you may use the word pride in a sentence without actually understanding it's true meaning, hopefully when you finish reading you will have a clearer meaning of the word. Pride basically means to have a high opinion of oneself. Often times pride is used from the sense that a person is responsible for something good that is happening. Reality is, if something good is happening, God is responsible, and you deserve none of the credit for what God has done. The bible says that EVERY good and perfect gift comes from above. So why would you be proud of something, like you deserve the credit... God said that he will not share his glory with no man...
Pride live in deception, pride believes lies, and pride tells lies. Humility lives in reality... It's okay to believe good things about yourself as long they are true, reality... Philemon says that the communication of your faith may become effectual by the acknowledging of every good thing that is in you in Christ Jesus. Paul said that he magnifies his own office. Did Paul make the office, no, he was called to it, God made it, Paul is simply acknowledging the work that God is doing.
John 7:15-16 "And the Jews marvelled, saying, how knows this man letters, having never learned (they were speaking of Jesus)? And Jesus answered them, and said My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me". Jesus didn't answer them by saying," you gotta pray really hard, and stay up all night studying, and fast, and you really gotta pay the price..." Jesus knew how the work was being done, it was God in him that was doing the work, it was the Grace of God. Jesus lived/lives in reality. Many times he refers to the Father being the one that does the work...
Remember? If it's good, it's God; If it's bad, it's you! Lol... You can take the credit all day long for the bad stuff, but then ask God for mercy and help, to make it better! But you better give God the credit for the good that goes on in your life!
Here are 4 "in you" truths, as opposed to in him... (I'll give scripture reference for each, if you don't believe me then you can look it up... Don't make a confession of these, but do you remind yourself from time to time.)
- In yourself, you are nothing (nothing= no, not one thing!) Galatians 6:3...
- In yourself, you know nothing. (nothing= no, not one thing!) 1 Corinthians 8:2... regardless of how much education you have, without God you wouldn't even have a brain or be able to remember your first name...
- In yourself, you have nothing (nothing= no, not one thing!) 1 Corinthians 4:7... The nature of the flesh is pride, and pride is the nature of the devil, that's why he got throne out of heaven, he tried to exalt himself above God. This is where the theory of evolution comes from, pride. God didn't make me I crawled out of the ocean, I evolved all by myself, I didn't need any help!
- In yourself, you can do nothing. (nothing= no, not one thing!) John 15:5
Many times people think that because they are born with something that means it must just be them... maybe your good with kids, or good with numbers, or you've always managed money well, something just comes natural to you, so you think you must just be special... :) Well let me shine some light the subject, If it's good, it's God! Some gifts/graces, we're born with, some we have to learn to receive them... you wanna know how your receive more? You wanna know how to make yourself smarter? You wanna know how to have more from God?
Turn to James 4:6. But he gives more grace! Wherefore he saith, God resists the PROUD, but gives grace to the humble! You want more? learn to be humble! It doesn't all happen at once, but it has to start! I will give some examples of pride and what it looks like in my next blog, but I'm going to end for now by giving you some ways that God sees pride and then also the affects of pride...
How God sees pride:
Proverbs 6:16 – These six things doth the lord hate: (Do you hate them) yes, seven are an abomination unto him: A proud look,
Proverbs 8:13 The fear of the lord is to hate evil: pride and arrogancy and the evil way and the forward mouth do I hate.
Proverbs 16:5 Everyone that is proud in heart is an abomination to the Lord.
Proverbs 21:4 A high look and a proud heart is sin.
Pride is a big thing that we should continue to work on... It is the nature of God’s enemy. God wants us to learn of him, pride says I already know.
The effects of pride:
· Proverbs 11:2 When pride comes, then comes shame, but with the lowly is wisdom.
· Proverbs 15:25 The Lord will destroy the house of the proud.
· Proverbs 16:18 Pride goes before destruction, and a haughty spirit before a fall.
· Proverbs 29:23 A mans pride shall bring him low, but honor shall uphold the humble in spirit.
· One of the effects of pride is a numbing of the mind and a darkening of the understanding, if you want to get revelation you must deal with pride and grow in humility
Daniel 5:20 When his (Nebuchadnezzar) heart was lifted up, and his mind hardened in pride, he was deposed from his kingly throne, and they took his glory from him.
James 4:6 He gives more grace. Wherefore he saith, God resists the proud, but gives grace unto the humble. Submit yourself to God, resist the devil, and he will flee from you.
God resists the proud... Don’t be proud... Being proud gives the idea that you somehow are responsible, your not responsible, God is!